Youth Coordinator Services
In November 2013, the Construction Association, through a contract with PETL (Post-secondary Education Training and Labour), hired a Youth Coordinator. The Association and PETL had identified that the average age of apprentices in NB is of 27 years old. This shows a gap of 10 years from when Youth graduate high school to when they enter an apprenticeship program. Because labour market forecasts indicate that 60% of employment in Canada (and NB), in the next 10 years, will be from the Trades and Technology, it became very apparent to this association that some work needed to be done with the Youth of NB to raise their awareness about the construction trades and better facilitate their transition into an apprenticeship program directly from the end of high school.
The Youth Coordinator main duties will be to raise this awareness of the Construction Trades by:
- Participating in school presentations and career days, job fairs, trade shows, etc.
- Administering parts of the Building for the Future Funds and projects.
- Working with the School Districts, Teachers and Guidance Counselors to raise awareness of the construction Trades.
- Plan and Coordinate 4 "Building for the Future" Trades and Career Expo events yearly in key locations in the province of New Brunswick.
- Provide employment counselling services to Youth interested in a construction trade.